Sunday, May 9, 2010

Comal

A comal is a thin, flat griddle used frequently in Latin American cooking. It took some getting used to, but now its my favorite way to start a meal. Lately I've been enjoying chunky vegetables seared at a very high heat with little to no oil used in the cooking. The exterior of the squash is pleasantly charred while the interior remains sweet, springy, and full of juice. Tomatoes are greatly improved by charring on the comal. The soft meat slips from the skin and has a beautiful caramelized flavor.

I tossed the veggies in a quick dressing of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh oregano and thyme.
They're sitting on top of wilted spinach.

-Kenny

2 comments:

  1. used frequently in latin american cooking AND making spancakes with bloobs on deer isle, ME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That looks fantastic! I've been looking for a new way to do my veggies and I think this is it.

    ReplyDelete