Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The PEOPLE! UNITED! Can Never Be...

Defeated? Divided? I don't remember, but whatever they're saying in Spanish rhymes beautifully. I joined a massive political protest today and played the role of "curious journalist" as I snaked through the crowd. I'm not sure exactly what it was about this time, but the chanting and collective energy brought me right back to San Francisco in March of 2003! We've learned that the utility unions (such as electricity) often flex their power in the streets and paralyze the main traffic arteries downtown. Many locals actually get annoyed with how many protests there are, but I find it kind of refreshing. The march culminated in the Zocalo, where I saw banners saying something about "telefonistas", so maybe it has to do with the phone company? I'll find out tomorrow from the real journalists...

"Yes We Can!"

Someone had the foresight to ensure monuments wouldn't be wheat-pasted or graffiti'd. (Saran Wrap, click image to enlarge.)

I still can't figure out the message, but they did scare me a little. Points for creativity.

Of course, the highlight of my protest experience was discovering a new favorite curb-side snack: one enormous tortilla chip smothered with refried beans, with cilantro, cactus, salsa, and cheese thrown on top. I loved it -you get to eat your plate.

-PJ

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for telling your cousin that you moved to Mexico! sounds like you are having a good time!
    Molly
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god! I love the sling shot and the gun!

    -Emmo

    ReplyDelete