Thursday, September 16, 2010

200 years

Last night we celebrated Mexico's much anticipated Bicentennial of Independence. The entire downtown area was shut off to traffic to make way for parades, concert stages, and various Cirque Du Soleil-inspired performances. It was quite the extravaganza, culminating in an insane fireworks blow-out in the Zocalo with satellite displays erupting all over the city. I didn't bring my camera out because of the crowds, but now I'm wishing I had... It was definitely the party of the century. Here are some images I grabbed off the web from last night's hoo-hah. ¡VIVA MEXICO!







I'm surprised and disappointed, frankly, that none of the major news outlets in the US covered the event. The "story" is that drug violence and a slumping economy have put a damper on the national mood blah, blah, blah... It's a legitimate angle but not complete. I think that Mexico deserves the world's attention right now for the positive as well. The culture and history are so rich and complex. I mean, what other country would include sexy, exotic dancers in over-sized cages in a bicentennial parade?

-PJ

2 comments:

  1. pierre - amazing pictures! but where are the exotic dancers??
    i love the woman twirling in the skirt!

    ReplyDelete