Thursday, September 16, 2010

Pato pt. 2

While I was rendering the duck fat for the confit, I made a stock from the bones which would eventually be used in a sauce for the duck breast. The bones were roasted in an oven, along with a mirepoix of celery, onion and carrot, before simmering in water for three hours.

The stock was extremely deep and earthy. I almost wanted to eat it alone as a soup rather than make a sauce from it, but the sauce was worth it. After straining, the next day I reduced the stock to just a 1/2 cup of liquid. In another pot, I reduced some red wine (Tempranillo-Malbec) with onion, thyme, and allspice. I strained and combined them, also adding a bit of the reduced beet liquid from previously roasted beets, and finished it off by whisking in butter.

The duck breast was pan seared, mostly skin side down until crispy with a medium rare center. The sliced breast is sitting on chard sauteed in duck fat. A scattering of roasted beets ring the plate. This meal was good practice with a protein I don't usually work with. The duck offered so many useful and delicious opportunities with every part of its body. I realized that I have more enjoyment working with meat, and more appreciation for its flavors when I've gone through the process of breaking the animal down and using most of it with care (I didn't use the organs... that's for another time).

-Kenny

No comments:

Post a Comment