Thursday, April 29, 2010

Dr. Curran

We're not gonna lie, the job search has been more difficult than we imagined. But the great thing about living in Mexico City is that there are certain shortcuts...

I went on a secret mission the other day to Plaza Santo Domingo in the chaotic Centro Historico. Essentially, it's the print-making district and the place to go for wedding invitations and business cards. The antique presses alone are worth the trip, but I had ulterior motives. Rumor has it that this is also where people go to get counterfeit official documents made.

I passed through one of the shops from the street and continued down a dimly lit hallway. It led to a smokey, windowless den with the thick smell of incense and one bare light-bulb hanging from the ceiling. (I couldn't believe it, it was just like the movies.) I waited for the guys behind the desk to notice that a terrified gringo had entered the building. One of them eventually looked up, so I began right away with my prepared script,
"I was wondering... if I could get a... dentist's license... for a friend."
His face lit up, "Oh, of course! What's the name? What do you want it to say?"
He had obviously done this before and had the whole system worked out. He also got a real kick out of the fact that it was for a joke. We designed it together and he had it ready in just a few hours. And now, for better or for worse, Kenny is a certified dentist.

As I stepped outside the highly illegal looking illegal print-shop with my fake diploma, I noticed that I was standing across the street from Mexico's Ministry of Education!

-PJ

No comments:

Post a Comment